I stumbled upon a slow cooker recipe for Turkey Chili on SkinnyMs’ 73 Best Slow Cooker Recipes. They have a ton of great slow cooker recipes, and this was the first one I tried.
It was so delicious AND can not only be used as a chili recipe, but also over nachos! Great idea for a hearty party appetizer!
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili Recipe
(makes 5-6 servings):
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (I like petite diced)
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- splash of Tobasco sauce (to taste)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- reduced-fat sour cream, cheese, diced green onions, tabasco sauce, and/or tortilla chips for serving
- Put the tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, frozen corn kernels, and spices into the slow cooker.
- In a large nonstick skillet, sautee the peppers and onions in the canola oil on medium heat. When the onions are soft, add the ground turkey and continue to cook, breaking the turkey up into small chunks with a spatula or spoon. When the turkey is browned and cooked through, add the turkey, bell pepper, and onion mixture to the crock pot and stir to combine.
- Cook the chili on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Season with salt, pepper, and Tobasco to your taste.
- Serve the chili hot in bowls with cheese, sour cream, green onions, and tortilla chips as you wish.